Drum Wagon

All things percussive

Started work on converting the 13″ snare from the Chameleon kit. I don’t anticipate running into any major problems with this one, seems pretty cut and dry. I am however looking forward to applying some of the lessons learned from my first attempt, with the 10″ tom.

Here are some pics of the snare before I started:

The first step was to strip and clean all the hardware. Once again, I was amazed at the difference that some chrome polish made on the hardware. I wish I had discovered this decades ago as it’s sad to think of how long I’ve lived with yucky chrome :/

After stripping the hardware, I proceeded to examine the shell and bearing edge. One problem I’ll need to solve is how to plug up the holes left from the installation of the strainer and butt as I don’t intend to reattach these to the final drum. The factory messed up drilling the holes for the strainer which will probably complicate things a bit.

The final step in preparing the shell was to remove the air-hole grommet. This will later facilitate installation of the 1/4″ jack for the trigger. This grommet was installed quite well, but a few minutes with a Dremel had it removed without any damage to the shell.

In part 2, I’ll be installing a crossbar, wiring the triggers and completing this drum.

November 7th, 2007

Posted In: DIY, hardware, present

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *