This article details step-by-step how to fire off a TD-20’s percussion samples from an SPD-11 or SPD-20.
The concepts work pretty much the same if using other modules or pad controllers as well.
The first question you might ask is ‘why’? Why not just utilize the onboard sounds already present in
the SPD-11? Well, the short answer for *me* is that I already had an SPD-11 laying around from my first
foray into electronic percussion back in the mid-90s but have since upgraded to a TD-20 which has much
better sounds onboard than the SPD-11 and I would like to trigger those instead. Some other reasons and
benefits for doing this though are:
Darin November 16th, 2007
We took the munchkin to Chuck E. Cheese’s yesterday for the first time and I realized I hadn’t been there since about the time I first started playing drums, about 25 years now.
While I like to think that my playing has aged gracefully, I’m sad to say that the mouse has not. What happened Chucky? Your place used to be dripping in ‘cool’.. now it just drips toddler pee (literally, don’t stand under the habitrails).
Also, a sonnet to the redneck that cut in front of a line full of kids just so he could buy a beer…
“..oh dearest redneck that cut in front of a line full of kids just so you could buy a beer…. you suck.”
Darin November 11th, 2007
Started work on converting the 13″ snare from the Chameleon kit. I don’t anticipate running into any major problems with this one, seems pretty cut and dry. I am however looking forward to applying some of the lessons learned from my first attempt, with the 10″ tom.
Here are some pics of the snare before I started:
The first step was to strip and clean all the hardware. Once again, I was amazed at the difference that some chrome polish made on the hardware. I wish I had discovered this decades ago as it’s sad to think of how long I’ve lived with yucky chrome :/
After stripping the hardware, I proceeded to examine the shell and bearing edge. One problem I’ll need to solve is how to plug up the holes left from the installation of the strainer and butt as I don’t intend to reattach these to the final drum. The factory messed up drilling the holes for the strainer which will probably complicate things a bit.
Darin November 7th, 2007