We had an absolute blast putting these together, hope you enjoy them!
I *love* my Sleishmans, but one persistent problem I've had are rattles from my floor tom. The depth of that drum requires fairly long tube lugs, which in turn have a significant amount of play at their longest extent. I do keep that drum tensioned fairly low (about low to middle I'd say) and it's actually possible to grab the top rim like a steering wheel and turn it a couple degrees either way. Tightening the drum might keep it from being able to twist like that, but that's a tuning compromise I'd rather not make.
When the rim is not twisted and the lugs are correctly positioned at 90° to the hoop, then all is well. However between bouncing around in the car during transport and being pulled out of the case by the rim it inevitably gets twisted a bit. When that happens one or more of the tension rods can be in contact with the side of its hole in the hoop. This metal-on-metal contact is what's causing my rattle.
Up to now I've just been living with it. Anytime I've had to move the drum then I'd invariably have to go around to each lug, tapping and tugging until the rattle goes away. Recently however I can across a product called Sleeved Washers distributed by a company called Hendrix Drums. These are standard sleeve washers, but in a size and diameter that perfectly fits any tension rod. The simple concept is that it would keep the threads from contacting the sides of the hole in the rim, eliminating the metal-on-metal contact.
Here's a before photo:
...and here's a photo with the new sleeve washer in place:
You'll note that I left the original rubber washer in place. These are designed so that the tuning does not back out at low tension. I merely replaced the lower white plastic washer with the new sleeved one. This keeps the tension rod from being able to rub against the hoop.
Here's a detail shot of the washers:
So you're probably asking how it turned out? In a word, "fantastic"! The rattle is gone, and the drum is holding its tuning as well as before. There also is less deformation of the rubber washers as the old white ones were not that rigid and were affected by the curvature of the flanged rim.
If you're suffering from rattles, I wholeheartedly recommend Sleeved Washers. They're quite inexpensive and do a fantastic job of isolating the rods from the rim. I have a couple non-Sleishman snare drums in my collection that I know can benefit from this as well.
This is a stripped down version of ZenEdit that runs in your browser and is used to design your very own custom ZX layout. The files that it generates are fully compatible with the full version of ZenEdit so you can hit the ground running when you receive your custom designed Zendrum!
Check out the Zendrum Custom Shop today!
A brief tutorial describing how to work with projects within the ZenEdit interface.
Just posted some live recordings from a September 2011 winery gig with The Stormy Weathermen.
Over the past couple years I've tried a huge number of different sound sources with my Zendrum, trying to the find the "perfect" live rig to suit most situations.
I've tried small and simple, large and complex, dedicated hardware modules as well as VST hosts. None of them were quite "right". With any one rig I'd have to sacrifice a level of one feature to gain in another.
The key features of a live rig are (to me):
Just posted some snippets from the Electric Mandolin Project (EMP) which I was involved in last summer.
To obtain the latest version, select "Help > Check for Updates" from the main menu.
Full details here.
I'd been working on refurbishing my old snare drum recently. Here's a shot of the finished product.
The shell is from a vintage Duplex Tonecraft (Rogers) snare, from the 60's. I first acquired it in the late 80's at a flea market for $10.
Back then it was in blue sparkle wrap. The original hardware was in sad shape, the chrome pitted and peeling and with rust setting in. In the early 90's I stripped the original wrap and replaced it with piano black. I also replaced the original lugs with the old "Pearl style" ones and sharpened the bearing edges. I also added a layer of satin polyurethane to the interior to help the shell project more.
Now for its second refurbishment, I've restripped the shell and sealed it with clear polyurethane. I've also replaced ALL the hardware this time, with newer Pearl "bridge" lugs and a modern throw off from Drum Foundry. I've also added a larger vent and custom Purecussion snares. This drum just plain sings now! I could not be happier with it.
To add to its personal historical and sentimental value, the rims it uses are now from my very first student snare drum from some 28 years ago. My drum teacher, Mrs. Horst, engraved our names on them so we students could tell them all apart. I'm flooded with memories whenever I remove this drum from its case :)
I've added some found recordings from this time last year for a group called Lotus Dog. This was the first group I was in where I played nothing but Zendrum.